flashVars Resource

Dave Klein

Dec 23, 2009, 1:51:00 PM12/23/09
to swfo...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering if there's a good resource for flashVars that would enable me to put less into my .fla/.swf and more on the page in which is displaying the .swf? Recently I had move my .xml files that were referenced in my .swf and it would have been nice to make these adjustment outside the .swf. I have yet to find an exhaustive tutorial that dives into flashVars and their corresponding ActionScript.

Aran Rhee

Dec 23, 2009, 5:59:38 PM12/23/09
to swfo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave.

This list probably isn't the best place to get answers to generalist Flash questions (as we try to keep things narrow to SWFObject specific questions/issues).

The quick answer though, is that Flashvars are just string values that you can dynamically pass into your swf at runtime. If you can find some efficiencies in being able to use the strings to avoid some hard coding inside you swf, then great. This might include having the host page pass in the particular menu item or video link they want played, a playlist, or XML config file. Externalisaing these strings won't make your swf smaller, but as you said, would allow you to change things without having to recompile your swf etc.

How you use these flashvar values etc is completely up to you. You might just use the value to highlight a menu item inside your swf, or load and parse the XML resource. As Flashvars can be used for many different purposes, I don't think you will find an exhaustive tutorial. Just have a think about what you might want to configure/change externally and then look for a tut on the the specific problem.

Cheers,
Aran